Of all the accidents that happen on roadways, 25% of these accidents involve drivers who are drowsy.
The newest statistics from the CDC reported:
1. The highest age group risk was with males that are under the age of 25 years old.
2. Those who get less than 6 hours of sleep per night have double the chance of getting involve in an accident related to being drowsy than those who get 7 hours of sleep per night.
3. Those who have sleep disorders can be 5 times more likely to be a victim of drowsy driving. Even snoring counts as a sleep disorder.
4. Those who do not regularly wear a seatbelt are twice as likely to be a drowsy driver than those who routinely wear their seatbelt.
5. Those who binge drink once a month or more per month, are two times likely to be a drowsy driver.
If you are involved in an accident that is the result of drowsy driving, here is what you should be doing after the accident happens:
1. Do not move your car, stay at the scene and remain calm.
2. Ensure that the police have been called.
3. With the other driver involved, be sure to exchange information. This will include your name, address, phone numbers, car insurance policy number and provider, your drivers license number, and the license plate number of the vehicles involved.
4. Be sure to take photos of the actual accident, the location, the damage, and the license plate numbers and the like to ensure that you have throughly documented the wreck.
5. After a police report has been given, be sure that the information is matching up as it should.
6. If you must, contact a personal injury attorney to recover money to cover the damage of your vehicle, the medical expenses that you suffered, any pain and suffering or other related costs.
You should understand the risk of drowsy driving, as well as the characteristics of this to ensure that you do not end up drowsy driving. For those who do get drowsy while driving, they need to ensure that they are taking a break from time to time to give their mind and body a break.
If you have been injured in an accident, contact Mike Agruss Law, at 312-224-4695 for a free consultation. We are a Chicago personal injury law firm representing individuals and families who have suffered an injury or loss due to an accident. Mike Agruss Law, will handle your personal injury case quickly, will advise you every step of the way, and will not hesitate to go to trial for you.
Lastly, Mike Agruss Law, does not get paid attorney’s fees unless we win your case. Our no-fee promise is that simple. Therefore, you have nothing to risk when you hire us–just the opportunity to seek justice.