If you or a loved one intends to file a lawsuit for injuries sustained in an auto accident, it is imperative to consult with an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible. While you may wonder how much your lawsuit will be worth, a reasonable estimation simply cannot be made before consulting an attorney. Here are the primary reasons:
1) Every case is unique. As every auto accident is different, every resulting lawsuit will be different, as well. There is a wide range of factors to consider, some of which may depend on or cancel out one another and many of which require further investigation in some form. All of these are taken into account when estimating the worth of your lawsuit.
2) Entitlement is complex. Any accident-victim would love a solid estimate of his/her monetary entitlement as early as possible; however, this also requires multiple steps, even for an estimate. Your evidence must be questioned and your losses calculated, not to mention more general evaluations of the case itself.
3) Fault must be determined. What was your precise role in the accident? Were you at-fault or was the other driver? Will fault be divided between multiple parties? Establishing liability is a very important part of estimating entitlement and how the case may be resolved.
4) Your damages/injuries must be examined. Here are the most common types of damages in question:
– Medical Expenses – This includes all medical procedures which have taken place since the accident in order to treat your injuries.
– Lost Wages and Loss of Earning Capacity – This refers to the work you have missed, money not made due to missing work, and how much additional time you may need to recover.
– Pain and Suffering/Loss of Enjoyment of Life – Though this category is difficult to estimate in advance, it will be analyzed in preparation for the case.
– Loss of Consortium – This refers to the loss of companionship, comfort, sexual relationship, etc. between you and your spouse since the accident. Both “pain and suffering” and “loss of consortium” are particularly complex and should only be discussed with an attorney to determine their relevance to the case.
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident, contact Mike Agruss Law for a free consultation. We are a Chicago-based injury law firm representing individuals (and their families) who have suffered an injury in an accident. We will handle your case quickly and advise you every step of the way, and we will not hesitate to go to trial for you.
Lastly, Mike Agruss Law is not paid attorneys’ fees unless we win your case. Our no-fee promise is that simple. You have nothing to risk when you hire us – only the opportunity to seek justice.