Skip to content

Doctor and Wife ID’d as Victims of Plane Crash

The victims of a plane crash in Bolingbrook on Wednesday, September 25th have been identified as a surgeon from Kentucky and his wife. The pair were flying to Chicago to attend a medical conference, according to co-workers and police.

Dr. Narayan Venguswamy, 63, of Georgetown, Kentucky was positively identified, according to the Cook County medical examiner’s office. He was a licensed pilot and the couple were flying in a small single-engine plane en-route to Clow Airport when the struck a tree, a light pole and 3 cars before stopping in the Chase Bank parking lot at 262 S. Weber Road at approximately 5:15 pm. The reason for the cash is still unknown and under investigation.

After impact, the small plane burst into flames and Venguswamy made his way away from the wreckage, according to several witnesses. According to one witness, he was told to roll, but he kept asking witnesses to help his wife. Venguswamy’s wife, Jay, died at the scene and Venguswamy was transported to Adventist Bolingbrook Hospital with severe burns. He was then transferred to Loyola University Medical Center. He was declared dead at 5:45 am on Thursday, the day after the crash.

According to witnesses, the plane was seen touching down at the airport before flying out, said Joshua Lindberg, a spokesman for the National Transportation Safety Board. The plan then made short altitude left back towards the airport before crashing. The plane, a Cirrus Sr20, has no black box recorder, but Lindberg says there are other instruments that may help the investigation. Unfortunately, the plane’s destruction will make it very difficult to determine the exact cause of the accident.

Venguswamy, known to co-workers as Dr. Vengu, worked at the Georgetown Community Hospital for 27 years. His wife had also worked in his office. The couple had two adult children. According to Bolingbrook Deputy Fire Chief Trinidad Garza, firefighters found a number of vehicles on fire in the parking lot. The fire crew first worked to put out the burning cars, then hit the burning plane with foam. It took about 15 minutes to control the fire. The investigation into the accident is currently underway.

Submitted Comments

No Comments submitted yet. Sharing your story will help others!

We are listening

We will respond to you at lightning speed. All of your information will be kept confidential.

Form successfully submitted!