Pregnancy is an exciting time and expectant mothers will do everything they can to keep their unborn baby safe. Unfortunately, there are times that the unexpected happens and injuries sustained during a car accident can affect not only the pregnant woman but her unborn child as well. These injuries can be severe, devastating, and cause lifelong, permanent challenges for both mother and child.
If you or a loved one is pregnant and has been injured in an auto accident due to another driver’s negligence, we at Mike Agruss Law are here for you every step of the way to ensure that your rights are protected, and you are fully compensated for your injuries and losses.
If you or a pregnant loved on was involved in any type of accident, the first step is to seek medical attention. Even if things feel fine, there may be severe injuries to the mother or the baby. A mother’s body is meant to protect her child, but the womb can only do so much in the face of an impact.
Some types of injuries that could occur during an accident to a pregnant woman could be:
- Miscarriage-Miscarriages are devastating, and the loss of a child can impact the mother for the rest of her life.
- Premature Birth-A premature birth is any birth before 37 weeks of development. Babies born too early with an increased risk of complications and will most likely need to spend time in the Neo-Natal Intensive Care Unit for some length of time. This is both extremely stressful and expensive, with an extended stay in the NICU running into the thousands of dollars.
- Birth Defects-Premature births often have complications. Because the baby is not able to fully develop within the womb, there is an increased risk of heart defects, lungs and GI tract that are underdeveloped, and blindness.
- Internal Injuries-Just like mom, the unborn child can suffer internal injuries during a car accident, including perforated organs, internal bleeding, and hemorrhaging.
- Infections-Both the unborn child and the pregnant mother could develop an infection following a car accident, resulting in sepsis, or a full-body infection that enters the bloodstream and shuts down the organs. Infections are not to be taken lightly and can result in death.
These injuries do not always appear at the time of the accident but may appear later as the pregnancy continues. Injuries that an unborn child sustains in utero can also affect their later development, both physically and mentally, and can follow them throughout the rest of their lives. An experienced car accident attorney at Mike Agruss Law can help secure the compensation your child deserves both now and for their future.
Losing a child due to an accident is extremelly difficult for the entire family. Laws regarding wrongful death of an unborn child vary from state-to-state, but the state of Illinois recognizes a fetus as a person at approximately 24 weeks of gestation. If you or a loved one were involved in an auto accident with a negligent driver that resulted in miscarriage or stillbirth, you may have a case for wrongful death. Mike Agruss Law understands that no amount of money could ever replace a lost child, but we are here to help make the process easier for the bereaved and hopefully help them to achieve some bit of closure.
We at Mike Agruss Law are proud to serve our fellow citizens in personal injury cases, especially when you or a loved one has been injured in an auto accident, and we are fully committed to protecting your rights and ensuring that the other party is held legally accountable when negligence occurs. We will fight until the very end to ensure that you are fully compensated for all injuries and losses resulting from the accident, including medical expenses, property damage, lost wages, and pain and suffering, and you won’t owe us a dime for our services.
If you or a loved one was pregnant and has been injured in an auto accident, contact Mike Agruss Law for a free consultation. Helping our clients is about counseling, advocating, and ultimately solving problems. With years of experience successfully representing the people and not the powerful, we will take care of the insurance adjusters, your medical bills, your property damage, and your lost wages, and monitor your treatment so you can focus on healing and getting your life back to normal. We will handle your case quickly and advise you every step of the way, and we will not hesitate to go to trial for you.
Lastly, Mike Agruss Law is not paid attorneys’ fees unless we win your case. Our no-fee promise is that simple. You have nothing to risk when you hire us – only the opportunity to seek justice.