Home Health Care Accidents
Home Health Care Accident Attorneys in Chicago
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there were 12,200 home health agencies in 2016, with 4.5 million receiving care in 2015. Home health care encompasses the services that health care professionals are able to administer to a patient in their own home for an illness or an injury. It may be more affordable, comforting, and personal to have a loved one be treated in their own home. However, it could also result in tragic consequences. Home health care accidents occur from time to time, whether it be through negligence, malpractice, and other types of mistreatment.
At Agruss Law Firm, LLC, we have helped thousands of clients to seek justice and compensation for personal injuries, and you won’t owe us a penny for our services unless we win your case. If you or a loved one has been injured due to a home health care accident, contact our office today for a free consultation.
Types of Home Health Care Accidents
The home health care providers can fail to properly care for their patients in a number of ways. In any case, though, their actions hurt each person associated with the patient as well as the patient themselves, of course. Some types of home health care accidents that can take place include:
- Negligence – If a health care provider makes a careless mistake and causes injury to the patient, you may be able to sue them for negligence. You should be able to show that the injury was directly caused by the provider’s breach of their duty of care owed to the patient. Negligence can be due to their action or inaction.
- Abuse – Unfortunately, some caretakers can go as far as abusing the patient due to their weaker condition. This could be physical abuse, neglect, or financial abuse in their services.
- Malpractice – Medical malpractice claims are similar to negligence, but more specific. A malpractice claim alleges that the medical professional did not act with the level of care that another reasonable medical professional would have in the situation.
- Wrongful death – A caretaker can be sued for a wrongful death claim if the death occurred due to their negligence, carelessness, or malpractice in treating the patient.
Examples of Home Health Care Malpractice and Offenses
- Administering the incorrect medicine, intentionally or unintentionally.
- Neglecting the patient’s particular needs or desires.
- Improper use of medical equipment or medical equipment failure.
- Over-reliance on family members to perform certain services.
- Transportation injuries.
- Physically or sexually abusing the patient.
- Stealing property or money from the home.
- Failure to supervise the patient when obligated to do so.
Damages That Can Be Recovered
Home health care providers and caretakers are held to a high standard. They are given the responsibility of treating and supervising their patient in the home to the best of their abilities so that they can recover or alleviate some of the pain. When they fail to adhere to this standard, the patient can worsen in condition, experience mental and emotional trauma, or even pass away.
Depending on the type of injuries incurred, who incurred these injuries, and the type of accident, there are certain damages for which your loved one and/or you deserve to be compensated. Speak to an attorney today regarding your options in taking legal action to stop the mistreatment and be fairly compensated for what you have had to endure. Some common damages in these cases can include the following:
- Medical bills
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
- Future loss of earning potential
- Wrongful death
- Funeral and burial costs
- Punitive damages
If you or a loved one has been injured due to a home health care accident, contact our office today for a free consultation.
We are listening.
No comments submitted yet. Sharing your story will help others!
Chicago Man in Serious Condition after Pushed in Front of Oncoming Train at Jackson Station
Pedestrian Killed in Car Crash in Chicago’s South Side
Bethany Man Killed in Head-On Collision Involving Suspected Drunk Driver
Plainfield Man Struck and Killed in Pedestrian Accident on Route 59
Blackstone Man Dies after Being Struck by Wrong-Way Driver in Wilmington, IL