Bicycling is one of the best ways to get exercise, live a little more “green”, and a method that many people use as alternative transportation. With more than 80 million people cycling on U.S. roadways, it is vital that cyclists take precautions to keep themselves safe, especially when cycling deaths have increased 29% between 2010-2017.
The following are bicycle safety tips recommended by the National Safety Council to prevent serious cycling accidents:
1. Check your equipment – It is important that all cyclists check their equipment prior to taking it to the roads. This includes:
- The bicycle seat should be the proper height and locked into place.
- Check that the tires are properly inflated.
- Ensure that all reflectors are in place on the rear, front, pedals, and spokes and the front headlight is functioning for night riding.
- It is highly recommended that all bicycles be equipped with a rear-view mirror and horn.
2. Ensure you can be seen – Wear bright-colored clothing and if you must ride at night, wear reflective clothing and use flashing lights.
3. Wear a helmet – While Illinois law does not require helmets except for couriers or delivery cyclists, helmets are often the only line of defense a cyclist has against serious head injuries. Make sure that the helmet is certified by the Consumer Product Safety Commission and ensure that it fits properly so that it is effective in the event of an accident.
If you are unsure how a helmet should fit, either follow these recommendations or have a bike shop employee fit you:
- Adjust the fit ring or padding until the helmet is comfortable.
- Position the helmet level on your head, covering your forehead, and do not tip the helmet forward or backward.
- Adjust the side straps so they form a “V” under and slightly in front of your ears.
- Center the chin strap buckle under your chin.
- Buckle and tighten the strap until it is snug with no more than one or two fingers fitting between the strap and your chin.
If you and your helmet were involved in an accident, it is also recommended that you purchase a new one before riding again.
- Follow the rules of the road – Cyclists are required by law to follow the same rules of the road as motor vehicle drivers and to ride with the flow of traffic in a single-file line. As a cyclist, you should also keep alert, use hand signals when turning or changing lanes, watch for opening doors, and never hitch onto moving vehicles.
If you follow all of these recommendations and you or a loved one are involved in a bicycle accident, it is important to contact an experienced injury lawyer to review your case and ensure you receive the compensation that you are entitled to.
We at Mike Agruss Law are proud to serve our fellow citizens in personal injury cases, especially when you or a loved one has been injured in a bicycle accident, and we are fully committed to protecting your rights and ensuring that the other party is held legally accountable when negligence occurs. We will fight until the very end to ensure that you are fully compensated for all injuries and losses resulting from the accident, including medical expenses, property damage, lost wages, and pain and suffering, and you won’t owe us a dime for our services.
We see you as a person, not just a client – and that makes us better at the work we do. We listen. We learn your story. And, as we help you get the money you deserve, we go above and beyond in a way most law firms never could and never would. Because we’re not just lawyers. And you’re not just a client. We’re friends, neighbors, family. We’re all people and here at Mike Agruss Law, we put People, First.
Helping our clients is about counseling, advocating, and ultimately solving problems. With years of experience successfully representing the people, not the powerful, we will take care of the insurance adjusters, your medical bills, your property damage, your lost wages, and monitor your treatment so you can focus on healing and getting your life back to normal. Our unique formula has earned us over 900 outstanding client reviews on our website, an A+ BBB rating, and over 120 five-star reviews on Google. Call 888-572-0176, e-mail us at [email protected], or schedule a meeting with us here. We’re here 24/7.