The construction industry accident fatality rate is more than double that of other industries and the number of minor injuries is almost difficult to measure. Because the construction site is an ever-changing work environment, the risks and hazards faced by workers are numerous. And while the majority of employers are responsible and aware of the duty of care they owe their employees, accidents can still occur.
The top 10 safety risks in the construction field include:
- Working at height – Construction or demolition of buildings often requires workers to be performing their duties at significant heights. Injuries and fatalities from falls account for a large number of construction accidents every year.
- Moving objects – Construction sites are hectic and continuously changing. Moving machinery, tools, shifting heavy loads, and overhead lifting equipment can put workers at risk for serious and deadly injuries.
- Slips, trips, and falls – Construction sites are often on uneven terrain with debris around every corner. Slips, trips, and falls are a common safety risk in construction.
- Noise – Repetitive, excessive noise can not only be a distraction, it can damage the hearing of those workers exposed to it for long periods of time.
- Hand/Arm Vibration Syndrome – Prolonged use of vibratory tools and equipment can damage the nerves, joints, and blood vessels, resulting in a painful, debilitating condition.
- Material handling – Materials are constantly being moved at the construction site. Employees should be provided with proper training and safety equipment to do this safely.
- Collapse – Excavation accidents and trench collapse can trap, bury, and kill construction workers and typically occur when proper shoring techniques are not used or during a demolition collapse.
- Asbestos – It is estimated that over 700,000 buildings in the U.S. contain asbestos. Electricians and plumbers are at particular risk for developing asbestos-related issues, which include cancer, however, anyone in the construction industry is at-risk for exposure due to the length of time asbestos particles can remain suspended in the air.
- Respiratory diseases – The dust kicked up at construction sites is often fine, invisible, and can contain hazardous particles that can damage the lungs and lead to permanent, and deadly issues including COPD, asthma, silicosis, and lung cancer.
- Electricity – Construction workers often come into contact with overhead power lines, unfinished electrical work, and/or live electrical wiring. The damage caused can range from minor shocks to a complete, deadly electrocution.
While construction sites are dangerous by nature, many of these risks can be minimized or eliminated by following the regulations enacted by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). When these important regulations are not followed, however, workers can be injured.
If you have been injured in an accident, contact Mike Agruss Law for a free consultation. We are a Chicago-based injury law firm representing individuals (and their families) who have suffered an injury in an accident. We will handle your case quickly and advise you every step of the way, and we will not hesitate to go to trial for you. Lastly, Mike Agruss Law is not paid attorneys’ fees unless we win your case. Our no-fee promise is that simple. You have nothing to risk when you hire us – only the opportunity to seek justice.
If you or a loved one has suffered injuries due to negligence on the job site or a defective product, an experienced personal injury lawyer can review your claim and determine if there were unsafe working conditions, potential OSHA violations, and other hazards that may have existed at the time of your accident. They will also determine who may be liable for your injuries and damages and what compensation you may be entitled to.
We see you as a person, not just a client – and that makes us better at work we do. We listen. We learn your story. And, as we help you get the money you deserve, we go above and beyond in a way most law firms never could and never would. Because we’re not just lawyers. And you’re not just a client. We’re friends, neighbors, family. We’re all people and here at Mike Agruss Law, we put People, First.
Helping our clients is about counseling, advocating, and ultimately solving problems. With years of experience successfully representing the people, not the powerful, we will take care of the insurance adjusters, your medical bills, your property damage, and your lost wages, and monitor your treatment so you can focus on healing and getting your life back to normal. Our unique formula has earned us over 1,000 outstanding client reviews on our website, an A+ BBB rating, and over 135 five-star reviews on Google. Call 888-572-0176, e-mail us at [email protected], or schedule a meeting with us here. We’re here 24/7.