It is estimated that 25,000 painters, construction workers, and utility workers use cherry pickers and bucket trucks every year. While these pieces of equipment are necessary and helpful, they also put workers at risk for serious injuries and death due to falls, electrocution, collapses, and tip-overs, especially when proper safety protocol is not adhered to.
If you have been injured in a cherry picker or bucket truck accident, contact Mike Agruss Law for a free consultation. We are a Chicago-based injury law firm representing individuals (and their families) who have suffered an injury in an accident. We will handle your case quickly and advise you every step of the way, and we will not hesitate to go to trial for you. Lastly, Mike Agruss Law is not paid attorneys’ fees unless we win your case. Our no-fee promise is that simple. You have nothing to risk when you hire us – only the opportunity to seek justice.
Cherry Picker and Bucket Truck Injuries
Working at any height always comes with a risk of falling. However, these are not the only types of accidents that can occur when using a cherry picker or bucket truck. Aerial lifts are often mobile, putting them at risk for moving or being hit by another vehicle. Other types of accidents and injuries include:
- Falling from the lift – 50% of falls from a cherry picker and bucket truck are from being ejected from the lift, typically due to being hit by other vehicles, falling objects, or sudden jerking motions.
- Tip-overs – When an aerial lift isn’t stable, the truck is moved, or the lift has improper weight, a tip-over accident can occur.
- Electrocution – Aerial lifts that come into contact with electric lines, either by accident or because of work being performed, put workers at risk for electrocution.
According to the Center for Construction Research and Training, an average of 26 workers die each year from using an aerial lift, with electricians suffering the most fatalities (25%), followed by construction workers (15%), electrical power installers (13%), painters (8%), and carpenters (5%).
Preventing Cherry Picker and Bucket Truck Accidents
Cherry pickers and bucket trucks have similar risks as other elevated work equipment however they have additional risks due to their mobility. This makes the following safety precautions even more important. The precautions that should be followed include:
- Inspections – All equipment should be thoroughly inspected before being used to ensure that it is working properly.
- Safe loads – All loads should be stable and within safe weight requirements.
- Worksite safety – Aerial lifts should be parked on a level, stable surfaces, and the emergency brake should always be used. The lift should not be used in extremely windy conditions and should never be moved with a worker inside the lift.
- Use safety equipment – Harnesses, hard hats, and other safety equipment should always be used and in good working order.
If you or a loved one has suffered injuries due to negligence on the job site or a defective product, an experienced personal injury lawyer can review your claim and determine if there were unsafe working conditions, potential OSHA violations, and other hazards that may have existed at the time of your accident. They will also determine who may be liable for your injuries and damages and what compensation you may be entitled to.
We at Mike Agruss Law are proud to serve our fellow citizens in personal injury cases, especially when you or a loved one has been injured, and we are fully committed to protecting your rights and ensuring that the other party is held legally accountable when negligence occurs. We will fight until the very end to ensure that you are fully compensated for all injuries and losses resulting from the accident, including medical expenses, property damage, lost wages, and pain and suffering, and you won’t owe us a dime for our services.
We see you as a person, not just a client – and that makes us better at the work we do. We listen. We learn your story. And, as we help you get the money you deserve, we go above and beyond in a way most law firms never could and never would. Because we’re not just lawyers. And you’re not just a client. We’re friends, neighbors, family. We’re all people and here at Mike Agruss Law, we put People, First.
Helping our clients is about counseling, advocating, and ultimately solving problems. With years of experience successfully representing the people, not the powerful, we will take care of the insurance adjusters, your medical bills, your property damage, your lost wages, and monitor your treatment so you can focus on healing and getting your life back to normal. Our unique formula has earned us over 900 outstanding client reviews on our website, an A+ BBB rating, and over 120 five-star reviews on Google. Call 888-572-0176, e-mail us at [email protected], or schedule a meeting with us here. We’re here 24/7.